I love Churros! We fell in love on a family trip to Spain and now at every possibility we reunite. Fried and rolled in sugar, a perfect breakfast me thinks. Unfortunately though I recently learnt how to make these wonders, so in a way of convincing myself that one more won’t be too bad I have introduced my new favourite flour…..Buckwheat!
It’s actually rather sweet flour with a nice nutty taste so i think it’s a nice alternative to plain flour, and although not traditional at least those with gluten/wheat intolerance can take part in the wonders that are Churros. Oh and never forget the chocolate sauce accompaniment, vital for perfection.
400ml Vegetable oil (depending on size of pan you may need to add more)
60g Castor sugar
1. Chop up your butter and add it to a medium-sized pot, place this over a medium heat and add the water. Bring to the boil then remove from heat. Butter should be all melted.
2. Now add in your buckwheat. The mixture will be a bit stiff and take a bit of effort to stir, if you are using buckwheat it will look a bit grey but that’s ok.
3. Add the eggs one at a time to loosen up the mix and stir in till you get a glossy sticky dough. A spoon should be able to stand upright in the mix.
4. You can scoop this all out and place in a piping bag (should you be so lucky to have one) or like me and just pop it all in a large zip-lock bag. Keep it in the fridge if you don’t want to use it for a while.
5. Ok, Heat the veggie oil in a pan and let it get really hot! To test drop a bit of the Churro batter into the oil, if it turns golden brown in 20 sec then whoop it’s ready! Prep some kitchen roll for draining the Churros and pour the sugar on a plate for rolling.
6. Snip a hole in your bag or set up your piping bag with a 1 inch nozzle approx. Pipe and snip (using a scissors) 6cm long pieces into the oil. Fry till lightly golden then remove and place on oil. Repeat until all batter is used up.
7. Roll Churros in sugar and transfer to a pretty plate/mouth. And then quickly whip up some chocolate sauce!
100g Dark Chocolate
2 tbsps Cream
1. Over a bath of water gently melt your chocolate and cream stirring occasionally till all glossy and gorgeous OR zap it all in the microwave for 1 min and stir. Couldn’t be quicker!
2. Dip Churros and devour :)