Lemon Polenta Cupcakes
I love lemon as a flavour it’s just so tasty! A close second to chocolate i must admit, and although I’m no fan of polenta it kinda works in this cupcake. Crumbly, a tad bit dry and gritty at times the butter cream topping smoothered on top encourages 2nd and 3rd helpings and on untill you are unconscious of the amount of cupcakes you have devoured! In all fairness it’s kinda hard to resist any cupcake, just something magical about them….suppose the added lemon syrup also adds to the addiction factor for these little gems, yup a whole lot of sugar here but doesn’t nearly taste too sweet, more lemon and buttery crunch.
I’m also pleased to say that polenta is suitable for Gluten free people ( sadly Spell checker can’t even decipher my spelling of the proper word, sorry) as long as it manufactured away from the wheat. Also Organic is best but you’ll get weird little black flakes, i assume these wont kill anyone…or i hope not!
200g Castor Sugar
5tbsp Cream cheese/marcapone
5tbsp Sunflower/any other mild flavoured oil
Zest and juice of 2 juicy lemons
5g Flour! Go gluten Free!
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3tbsp Castor Sugar
remaining Juice of lemons
200g Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Lemon juice (just keep adding till you get the texture/taste you desire)
1. Preheat your oven to 170C and line two 12 bun hole trays with pretty/plain cupcake cases.
2. In a bowl beat the eggs and sugar till pale, fluffy and twice original size.
3. In a separate bowl whisk yogurt, oil, lemon zest and 2tbsp of juice (the rest is for syrup!) together untill combined. Then add this to the egg mix and fold it all together.
4. Stir in the flour, polenta and baking powder. (If you can transfer the mix to a jug as it is really runny, it’s much easier to pour than spoon out) Now fill the cases with the mix to about 3/4 full and pop in that oven for 20 min or untill a skewer comes out clean.
5. Syrup: put all syrup ingredients (reserve some lemon juice for butter cream? I did and was fine…although partily by accident) into a small pot and dissolve the sugar on a low heat. Once dissolves boil it for a few min and then pour a little over each bun. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Butter cream: Quite nice just on their own but I prepare this addition! Beat the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until all combined and smooth, to this add your lemon juice gradually as you work up just the right citrus intensity and consistency ;) smother this on the cupcakes or pipe it should you be blessed with a piping bag.
Wont last long at all, just try to hide them.
nom nom nom nom nom…..