Ginger Bread People
So, I had an applied statistics project to do, with my choice of topic. Naturally, with the season we are in I had to analysis some factors that influence the baking process of gingerbread, like size and flour type (Gluten Free vs Regular).
All ingredients where measured equally (whatever I did to one I did to the other)for each batch with only variations being flour used and cookie cooker size. Here’s the recipe I used and the surprising results….
Also this does not require any extra heating like some gingerbread recipes so is great for small kids.
Makes Many…varies with size
340g Self Raising Gluten Free (or Regular flour)
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
150g Dark Muscavado
1 egg, beaten (54g)
4 tbsp golden syrup (74g)
1. Preheat oven to 220C and grease 2 baking trays.
2. Mix dry ingredients together then add butter and rub in till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg and golden syrup and mix to form a soft dough.*if you are not doing an experiment and you find your dough to be a bit too sticky to handle add a touch more flour. However if you are….
3. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to rest in fridge for 30min or longer.
4. After your dough has rested, take it out and roll it out on your cling film with some additional film or greaseproof paper on top. This prevents you from having to use excess flour and from having the dough sticking but if you must add about 5g extra flour dusted lightly over your dough. You should roll it to a thickness of 5mm.
5. Cut out your people, and place on tray. Bake for approx. 10min but keep an eye on them. You’ll see from the results of your first tray if you need to adjust baking time so make first tray small.
6. Remove from tray after 1min of cooling time. Repeat steps 5-6 until all dough has been baked.
7. Optional: Decorate with icing sugar mixed with water to form a paste. Place it in a plastic sandwich bag and pipe smiles and buttons.
Observations: Gluten free flour needs more baking time than Regular. Larger cookies need more time to bake than smaller cookies.
Results: See regression analysis project