Felt very inspired after seeing a cupcake decorating demo at Decobake, on Bachelors Walk, the other day. Adorable little creations, although far beyond my skill, it got me tingling to be a little bit creative and wanting to make something a little bit girly. I don’t have fondant, or glitter, or very many dyes, but I used what I had in my cupboards to make these whimsical little meadow cupcakes. Simple vanilla cupcakes dressed up with White Chocolate & Rose buttercream, dipped in coconut ‘grass’. I think they scrubbed up quit well!Very fragrant, it’s like….
“Edible air freshener”– Little Sister’s Friend
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
110g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
White Chocolate& Rose Butter Cream
170g Icing Sugar
120g White Chocolate, melted
1/2tsp Rose Water
1/2 tsp Pink/Red Food Colouring
6 Tbsp Grated Coconut
1/2 tsp Green Food Colouring
2tbsp Pink Sugar Crystals…Optional
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with some pretty cases. Beat together your sugar and butter till light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the eggs and Vanilla, beating all the way. Now add the flour and mix till it’s light, creamy and smooth.
Spoon into cases and pop into oven for 15min. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, beat the butter and icing sugar for the frosting until very smooth and creamy. Gradually add the white chocolate to the mix. If the chocolate solidified as you are beating it in just pop the whole lot in the microwave for a few sec, or suspend over a pan of simmering water.
4. Once the chocolate is incorporated it’s a time to add the Rose water and colouring. Just stir it in and set aside.
5. To make the grass put the coconut in a ziplock bag with a few drops of the green food colouring. Shake it up, add more dye if you like. Pour the ‘grass’ into a small bowl and stir in the sugar crystals, if using.
6. DECORATION! When the cupcakes have cooled spread them with a dollop of the pink frosting, then just dip them in the ‘grass’. Repeat until all your cupcakes are finished. Feel free to adorn them more if you please ^_^